Thursday, February 17, 2011

Top Ten Things You Should Never Say to Cancer Patients/Survivors



1. "Everything happens for a reason." What was the reason for me having this horrible disease, again?

2. "You'll be fine." So, now you have a crystal ball..




3. "I know how you feel!" I'm pretty sure you don't...

4. "You're finished with chemo/radiation? I bet you're glad THAT'S over!" No shit, Sherlock.

5. "You should keep a positive attitude and relax blah blah blah..." We hear the mind over body shit a zillion times a day by people who've never had cancer. We're tired of hearing it.

6. "We can beat this!" It's just me facing cancer here.

7. "Feeling tired/nauseated/whathaveyou? Then try this new_________". We simply DON'T NEED outside advice. Almost 100% of the time, those new fangled medications, foods, exotic supplements never work and can actually be harmful. We have oncologists, so we don't need your advice.

8. "If there's anything I can do for you, just let me know." Thanks. Really helpful. How about offering your time and talents instead of placing the burden of asking for help on the patient?

9. "Believe in miracles!" I just simply hate this saying and it is completely unhelpful; as if I'm supposed to wait for an act of god or something?

10. "What was having cancer like?" Oh yeah, It was greeeeaaaat!

No comments:

Post a Comment