Sunday, June 27, 2010

Taking a little bit of home with you where ever you go

After getting cancer, you stop worrying about the consequences of minor indulgences; that extra square of organic, fair trade, ridiculously good/expensive chocolate bar your swore you were going to save for later or...that little tattoo that you've always wanted but weren't close enough to a decent artist to get.

There are a few tattoos that I have planned for myself, one of which includes a half sleeve of an open pomegrante on my right arm. The other, I've had stored in my back pocket for a few years. For me, being at Smith was like being at home with myself, my identity, my people...ME. Whenever I returned to college, I felt as if wherever I had come from was only a place I visited. I had some of the best experiences and memories at Smith. So what does this have to do with my tattoo ambitions? There is a sugar maple tree that grows next to Wilder and I remember how the "little helicopter seeds" would to fall from the branches in slow spiraling motions. I have several of these seeds pressed in textbooks and tucked away in between old school papers. It makes me smile to cross upon one of these little treasures unexpectedly. I would love to get a little one of these green and brown seeds tattooed on my wrist as a way to always carry a little bit of home with me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment