Monday, March 22, 2010

Moving Forward (cue dramatic music!)

Apparently, after having cancer, everything is supposed to seem just a little "different". The leaves are a little greener, food tastes better, and every sunset is just a touch more golden. Honestly, everything looks and tastes the same to me. The leaves are green, food is nourishing, and yes, the sun sets. But nothing feels or seems different, other than my level of post-chemo energy. It aggravates me when people say that they had some sort of epiphany as a result of having cancer, like they found Jesus or that they have a "new take on life" or something.
Personally, I have learned NOTHING spiritually or emotionally useful from having cancer. Sure, I've picked up all sorts of fancy doctor language, long acronyms, and intimately understand what it is like to undergo various painful and violating procedures you only hear about on episodes of "House". I've learned that insurance companies can put a price on your life and that even fellow cancer survivors can still be real assholes, no matter how many "epiphanies" they've had. I've also had the illustrious privilege of receiving a $10,000 statement from my treatment center and various bill-grants refused, simply because I had student loan income the year I was diagnosed. I've learned that I don't qualify for insurance (or I have to through the nose for it), simply because of one random, mitotic mutation that precipitated my cancer development and that having only one PET scan, costing 7K each, a year is "enough". (I need one every three months) I've learned that hospital accountants are real assholes with no semblance of human compassion/are robots trained to squeeze every last dime from you and that it is more important for me to pay my hospital bill immediately than to focus on getting healthy. I've learned that money has become the pivot point of our country; things get done if you've got the money...you can see a doctor, you can prevent cancer, you can get your illness treated right away, you can receive competent and compassionate care, you can even buy yourself fake sympathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment