Wednesday, March 24, 2010

...How do you want your eggs?















Tomorrow is my second radiation simulation appointment. They're going to take additional scans of my body to calibrate the machine and do a "dry run" using the foaming blocks (used to keep me absolutely still for the treatment). I hear that radiation is SO much easier to deal with than chemotherapy. But whenever I think of what radiation will be like, I keep thinking about the skin irritation that commonly results. I ask myself stupid questions like, "Will I feel my skin burning?" or "Will I hear it sizzle?", as if my skin will make noises like a fried egg under radiation. I know it sounds silly, but I am totally afraid of feeling any sort of pain during the procedure. The technicians keep reassuring me that the live procedure lasts less than 1-2 minutes total. They say that any sensitivity I feel will be more like a sunburn that you didn't notice you were getting while lying out on the beach. I sure hope so! I don't know if I could handle the sound of my skin crackling and sizzling, even though I'm positive that is just my imagination running wild!

No comments:

Post a Comment