Saturday, July 14, 2012

FREE AND CLEAR

Hello, my beautiful lovelies!

I am so glad to report that my scan came back free and clear! No cancer!

Wooooooohooooooo!


But... there was some "weird stuff" happening with my thyroid.


Yeah. That's what I said.  Weird schtuff. Are you f'ing serious? 


What MORE do I have to put up with? I ALREADY HAD TO GO INTO THE DONUT OF DOOM. (Ya'll know what I'm talkin' about, right? Check out my archived posts for all of the inside jokes!) I was also pissed (perhaps childishly so?) that I had to get poked twice in the span of one hour. I think was a little bit spoiled at the SCCA. If I had procedures requiring an IV, they just drew blood from the IV instead of making you endure multiple stab wounds in the course of one day. 

A few days after the scan was completed, I met and chatted with my oncologist. He said that I had some "interesting uptake". Hah. Glad that my uptake was so "interesting" doc! After we talked about my results, we made a plan to keep an eye on it because I am at risk for hypothyroidism in the years post-radiation. In case you're not in the loop, lovely followers, I had mantle radiation scanning from my throat to my diaphragm. Here's a picture of me with my radiation "roadmap." For references purposes, obvi. ;-)   (Also please note my adorable curly mullet forming!)

As you can see the areas marked for radiation is pretty much grazes my thyroid. While my blood and counts were all within normal range, we're apparently "keeping an eye on things." While I sound pretty annoyed about this, I *was* warned that this would be a long-term side effect. I'm planning to do a lot of research about this crap before I dive into taking some synthetic or animal-based thyroid medication. I'll share with you what I know as I start doing research.










I guess I sometimes I feel like most of my medical issues are a matter of "wait-and-see." I hate the wait-n-see crap.

I want to know now, darn it!!!!

I hate waiting.
I don't want to be sick anymore.
None of this should ever have happened to me.
I don't like the CT contrast.

I WANT TO KNOW NOW.






Okay, I promise that I won't be rolling around on the floor having a tantrum the next time I go to the oncologists office, but sometimes I feel like it would definitely be cathartic.



No comments:

Post a Comment