Monday, February 27, 2012

The Very Definition of..

sick·ly   [sik-lee] -li·er, -li·est, adverb, verb, -lied, -ly·ing.
adjective
1. not strong; unhealthy; ailing.
2. of, connected with, or arising from ill health: a sickly complexion.
3. marked by the prevalence of ill health, as a region: the epidemic left the town sickly.
4. causing sickness.
5. Nauseating.


The Very Definition Of
Oh I'm sorry, does my port scar nauseate you?
Do I make the hair on the back of your neck stick up?
Does the thought make you cross yourself?
Thank-your-lucky stars that it didn't happen to you?
The oh-so-very-special you?
Did you panic imagining yourself sitting in that hospital bed
gratefully eating butterscotch pudding and saltines
asking the universe to give you the strength to keep it down?
Did you envision your body becoming lost in wires, lines, and devices designed to keep you alive?
Did you imagine your body treated like a living experiment
the newest receptacle for medical science?

Did you imagine losing your hair?
Did you imagine losing yourself?

My body refuses to fit your rigid little boxes. I'm breaking through this shit with some advice: Never call me "sickly".

2 comments:

  1. Never thought of you as sickly. I always knew you would prevail, win the battle and remain with us. I stand in awe of your strength in all things and bless the universe that you are my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks, Becky! This isn't for my allies at all. This was written after someone threw the word "sickly" at me after I told them about my health problems. Totally rude!

    ReplyDelete