Monday, July 26, 2010

Life...or something like it

School starts again for me in a mere two and a half weeks. This month feels like it went fast. I can't believe its time for my post-treatment scan already. In three days, I'll have my first follow-up scan since completing treatment. Hopefully, there will be good results to report soon thereafter. The idea of having to get a stem cell transplant and basically restarting my immune system does not sound like something I want to have to go through.

Fear of the cancer coming back: I'm sure this is common with many cancer patients, so I know I'm not alone. Still, I am terrified that it will be back. I don't know if I could do chemo again. *sigh* David keeps telling me that my doctors were extremely confident, that's why they let me have my port taken out so early. Most cancer patients have to keep theirs for a year in case they need it again. I can't imagine what that would be like; to have a reminder of the pain, fear and sickness you experienced living under your skin. I still have trouble with the tenderness and pain of my healed port incision. I hate looking at it, but at least its not sticking up through my skin. I hated that even more.

My hair is growing like weeds. In a few months time, I think my hair will be chin length; that is if I don't get grumpy and chop it off again. I do like my boycut, but I also miss the length I once had. I haven't decided what to do yet. Apparently, my curls are here to stay though. After a shower, I forgot to blow-dry and straighten my hair. It was so unruly! Hopefully, the new growth will still have the bounce and ringlets that I miss so much. I didn't realize until I had cancer how VAIN I was about my curly hair. (or as David calls it, my 'mane')

Cancer is humbling.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment